Group 1 Day Travelcards London 2016 – The Cheapest Transport Pass For Groups Of 10 Or More?
Author: Bob Handford
Summary of 1 Day Group Travelcard
If you are a group of 10 or more, this ticket is worth benchmarking against other alternatives but normally only becomes attractive financially if your group is staying outside the centre of London (zones 1 and 3).
Up until the end of 2014 the group product was called the Group Day Ticket. The Group Day Ticket was replaced by the 1 Day Group Travelcard in 2015.
The 1 Day Group Travelcard is for most visitor groups much less attractive than the old ticket and has come as a shock financially to groups who come to London annually and were used to the much lower prices of the old ticket.
Key Aspects Of The Group Travelcard
– The Group Travelcard is off-peak only, you cannot use its before 9:30 a.m. Mondays to Fridays. You can use them all day weekends and national holidays
– The smallest zone coverage of the Group Travelcard is zone 1-6, there is one other variant valid for zones 1-9
– The Group Travelcard is valid on all public transport that the standard Travelcard is valid for including buses, underground, DLR, Overground and trains.
– The Group Travelcard like the 1 Day Travelcard is valid for the calendar day, not 24 hours from first use.
– The child age band is under 16
– You cannot buy the product in advance before your arrival in London. You can only purchase from Underground Station ticket machines or Overground or TfL Rail station ticket offices and some National Rail stations that Tube and London Overground services run through – and only on the day of travel
– If you are not traveling beyond zones 1 to 3, a standard individual Oyster Card is cheaper than than the Group Travelcard
Purchasing 1 Day Group Travelcards
You can also purchase from London Overground or TfL Rail station ticket offices and some National Rail stations that Tube and London Overground services run through.
You can use credit and debit cards to purchase.
1 Day Group Travelcard Prices 2016 & Alternative Products
Don’t forget children under 11 travel free anyway on the Underground and Buses when accompanied.
Note a child needs to be under 16 to qualify for the child fare.
|1 Day Group Travelcard Zones 1-6||1 Day Group Travelvard Zones 1-9|
|Adult £8.00 Child £4.00||Adult £8.60 Child £4.30|
This compares with standard Off Peak 1 Day Travelcards for individuals
|1 Day Off-Peak Travelcard Zones 1-6||1 Day Off Peak Travelcard Zones 1-9|
|Adult £12.10 Child £6.00||Adult £12.90 Child £6.40|
1 Day standard Travelcards for individuals also have a peak product that allows you to travel before 9:30 a.m. Monday to Friday and also have tickets to cover zones 1-4 and zones 1-5.
|1 Day Peak Travelcard Zones 1-4||1 Day Peak Travelcard Zones 1-5|
|Adult £12.10 Child £6.00||Adult £17.20 Child £8.60|
|1 Day Peak Travelcard Zones 1-6||1 Day Peak Travelcard Zones 1-9|
|Adult £17.20 Child £8.60||Adult £21.70 Child £10.80|
Standard Travelcards are also available for 7 day durations.
7 day Travelcards are available for use at all times of day and again are available for smaller coverages of zones, including just zones 1-2 where most visitors spend their time. The 7 day child Travelcard requires an Oyster 11-15 ID card or if buying from a national railway station in London a railways id card which is free but requires a passport size photo.
|7 Day Travelcard Zones 1-2||7 Day Travelcard Zones 1-4|
|Adult £32.40 Child £16.20||Adult £46.50 Child £23.30|
|7 Day Travelcard Zones 1-6||7 Day Travelcard Zones 1-9|
|Adult £59.10 Child £29.60||Adult £84.20 Child £42.10|
And lastly Oyster Cards for 1 day durations have a lower daily cap than 1 day Travelcards, so for adults at least an Oyster will always be cheaper for individual 1 day Travelcards and will be cheaper than adult 1 day Group Travelcards if you only need to travel within zones 1-3.
For children under 16 its more complicated but for short term visitors the most popular option is an adult Oyster loaded with a Young Persons Discount. This gives half price adult fares and caps for a period of 2 weeks only.
The Young Persons Discount is explained on our child fares page.
|1 Day Oyster Cap Zones 1-2||1 Day Oyster Cap Zones 1-4|
|Adult £6.50||Adult £9.30|
|1 Day Oyster Cap Zones 1-6||1 Day Oyster Cap Zones 1-9|
|Adult £11.80||Adult £11.90/£16.90|
Oyster Card – In depth explanation of Oyster Cardsalert-success
Travelcards – In depth explanation of individual Travelcardsalert-success
– If you are staying in zones 1 to 3 and not traveling outside these zones then the Group Travelcard is more expensive than individual ticket alternatives.
Still Confused - Discuss With Bob!
Just enter your query in the discussion panel below and I’ll normally get back to you within 24 hours.